The island of Favignana, the largest of the Aegadian Islands, is a destination famous all over the world for the uncontaminated beauty of its
beaches, dotted here and there with rocky areas and fine white sand.
In this corner of the Mediterranean, an hour by ferry and half an hour by hydrofoil from Trapani, the Aegadian archipelago is revealed in all its beauty. Through nature and silence, the islands reveal the culture of an ancient land of tuna fishermen through colours and scents.
Behind the small harbour stands Palazzo Florio, built in 1876, home to the important Marsala family, responsible for the development of tuna fishing. At the end of the bay, on the right, is the Tonnara (tuna fishery), the largest in the Mediterranean, linked to the ancient rite of the “mattanza” (fishing technique with nets).
photo © The World of Sicily